Update 3/28/20: all Schmitt Music stores in Minnesota, Wisconsin, Kansas City, and Denver are now temporarily closed. Schmitt Music in Fargo, Omaha, and Sioux Falls remain open.
As we all work to “flatten the curve” and slow the spread of COVID-19/coronavirus, Schmitt Music has updated policies and procedures for our 15 locations and corporate headquarters. We’ve increased cleaning efforts (facilities and instruments), and implemented social distancing actions including canceled events, suspended in-store lessons, and a temporary reduction of store hours. Here’s a message from our leadership:
Dear Valued Customer,
Music has never had a more important role in giving us comfort. At this surprising and challenging time we are committed to providing a safe environment for our staff, visitors, and customers. Due to the COVID-19/coronavirus, we are taking robust actions to keep our stores and facilities safe and clean. Additionally, we are mindful of steps we can take to address social distancing while guiding on-site staff to follow best practices in terms of their personal health.
Schmitt Music leadership will continue to update our policies as guided by the CDC and other authorities. As of today, here are the specific actions we are taking. We will keep you updated as changes are made.
- In all locations, we have increased the frequency of routine cleaning with a focus on frequently touched surfaces; door handles, counter-tops, ledges, bathrooms, etc.
- We follow and/or exceed industry standards for cleaning our wind, string and keyboard instruments.
- A significant portion of our corporate staff will be working remotely starting Monday, March 16. Team meetings will be conducted via teleconference when possible, and we have postponed all unnecessary business travel until further notice.
- We require any employee experiencing illness or symptoms to stay at home and seek medical attention. We request that our patrons also stay home if you’re sick or experiencing symptoms.
- We have cancelled and/or rescheduled all group recitals and events in our stores effective immediately through April 5.
Update 3/20/20: Please note that out of growing concern for our clients and employees, and in accordance with CDC and WHO guidelines concerning COVID-19, all in-store instrument trials are temporarily suspended; however, shipping services remain available. We are happy to schedule a phone or virtual consultation, curate a selection of instruments, and ship directly to you!
Schmitt Music stores will remain open for business. However, store hours are temporarily changing as of Tuesday, March 17:
- Sunday: CLOSED
- Monday – Thursday: 12:00 p.m. to 7:00 p.m.
- Friday: 12:00 p.m. to 5:00 p.m.
- Saturday: 9:00 a.m. to 2:00 p.m.
Hours in our Virginia, MN store only: Monday – Friday: 11AM to 4PM | Saturday: by appointment only | Sunday: closed.
Update 3/18/20: Due to updated Miller Hill Mall (Simon Malls) operations, Schmitt Music Duluth will be CLOSED March 19 through Sunday, March 29; currently scheduled to reopen on March 30th. Curbside pickup is available. Learn more.
Update 3/22/20: Greater Kansas City is under a stay-at-home order beginning 3/24; our Overland Park, KS location is “required to cease all in-person operations.” Schmitt Music Kansas City will be CLOSED Tuesday, March 24 through Friday, April 24. Learn more.
Update 3/24/20: Wisconsin is under a “Safer at Home” emergency order beginning 3/25; Schmitt Music Eau Claire will be CLOSED Wednesday, March 25 through Thursday, April 23 (the order remains in effect until 8am on 4/24, or until a superseding order is issued). Learn more.
If you or a family member is taking lessons at Schmitt Music:
- We are temporarily suspending our lesson programs.
- No face-to-face lessons will be given in our stores, March 17 through April 5. Please call your private instructor to discuss alternate plans.
We sincerely wish you and your family health and safety during this unusual time. If you have a question, feedback, or if we can assist you musically in any fashion, please find your store at schmittmusic.com/stores.
Tom Schmitt, President & Doug Schmitt, Vice President